All the persons of the house of Jacob who went to Egypt were seventy: The total number of males of this clan was 70. There were 66, plus Jacob himself, Joseph, and his two sons. This large family would become a nation of perhaps more than two million over the next 400 years.
i. Like many great works of God, Israel had a slow beginning.
- · From the time God called Abraham, it took at least 25 years to add one son – Isaac
- · It took Isaac 60 years to add another son of Israel – Jacob
- · It took 50 or 60 years for Jacob to add 12 sons and one daughter
- · But in 430 years, Israel would leave Egypt with 600,000 men
- · It took this family 215 years to grow from one to 70, but in another 430 years they grew to two million.
SLOW is God’s way of operating. I remember God speaking to me in DC that RUSH is running under satan’s hour. Now every time I feel rushed I actually slow down. When someone pushes me to give an answer (i.e. bid on a house, plane ticket, hotel reservation, turn in an application) I actually ask or give myself more time. And it has always worked out for the best. One time I even regretted not purchasing the Instant Pot on Black Friday for $68 because I vowed never to make big purchases at night. The next day I was so bummed when it went back up to $128. I was really beating myself up for that when Rob mentioned. “There’s always Cyber Monday.” So I checked on Monday and sure even it went back down to $68. SLOW is our way of trusting God, it’s our way of Surrendering to the Lord Our Worries (SLOW).
Lord, help me to be SLOW today.